And awaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy we go! At long last football has arrived, my friends, and although my hopes are low for the J-E-T-S this year that in no way dampens my enthusiasm for the return of America’s Game. Just finished checking my fantasy lineups in four different leagues. Got my picks filed for the week. Soon Tracy and I will don our Martin and Chrebet jerseys and head out to Lime Bar for the game. Even the weather gods are getting into the spirit of things, delivering us cooler, crisper air for the occasion. Football! Finally.
I could write a 5,000-word post on the Jets weird offseason, horrible preseason, and debaculartastic season to come. Instead, I’ll summarize:
1. I think it was a huge mistake to sign Tebow. Literally the worst thing they could have done if they had any intention of righting Sanchez’s game and moving forward with him. I think Woody Johnson did it for media coverage and to sell tickets. The guy is a joke of an owner.
2. Regardless of who’s behind center, they’ve got no one to throw to. I read a comment from a Jets fan somewhere saying “Antonio Cromartie claims he’s the team’s second-best receiver. The sad thing is he might be right!” Ugh.
3. Even if it’s moderately successful somehow, I don’t look forward to watching a Sparano-devised, wildcat-heavy offense. That’s not good football, and it will never take any pro team to the promised land. (It’s painfully ironic that in an era where the high-flying passing attack – the kind of football I adore – is ascendant, my team is going with ground-pound-and-gimmick.)
Prediction? 5-11, good for third or last in the AFC East. Sanchez gets benched at some point in the season. Locker room implodes in a smog of acrimony. Rex is fired towards the end of the season or shortly thereafter, completing the four-year Jets coaching cycle of high hopes, higher hopes, crash, burn that I’ve now seen played out under Parcells, Edwards, and Mangini. (You wonder if maybe it’s not the coaching staff that’s the problem?)
But hey! Maybe they’ll surprise me. #LOLNo
Like I said, though. It’s football season! Not gonna let a small thing like my team sucking dampen my spirits. There’s so much more going on than Gang Green’s slow death march to destiny. There are questions! Questions like:
1. Peyton Manning in Denver. How’s that going to work out? I’d be thrilled to see the Peyton of Old return, and Denver looks to have a team around him that could make it happen. Tune in to SNF tonight to see Laser/Rocket Arm play the first game of the rest of his life against Team Vanilla.
2. Luck vs. RGIII. They’re not scheduled to play each other, but they’ll be playing each other every week.
3. Did the Bills do the right thing handing Mario Williams a record-breaking contract? And, in the near term, if I gave you an Over/Under of 3.5 for Williams sacks on Sanchez today, you’d be tempted to take the Over, wouldn’t you?
4. How do the Saints respond to BountyGate? It has to be weird going from being the league’s official Feel-Good franchise due to the New Orleans/Katrina connection to being Villains (or scapegoats, depending on your take) almost overnight.
5. Will the Patriots have a defense this year? And if they don’t, will it even matter?
6. Bonus: Will the Jets get it together and make me look like a jackhole for slagging on them?
See? Drama! Excitement! FOOTBALL!
OK, so here’s what we’ve got for today’s games in the 860:
CBS Early: Patriots @ Titans
FOX Early: Redskins @ Saints
FOX Late: ‘Niners @ Packers
As I said, with the Pats bumping the Jets off CBS, we won’t be around here for the early action. Doing the Jets Fans in Exile thing down at the Lime Bar instead. (And may I say? It’s so awesome to have a great little bar with the Sunday Ticket only two miles down the road.)
Enjoy the games and we’ll catch you on the flipside.